Monday, March 13, 2017

timing is everything.

Timing... it's a booger.

I hate spring forward, but I love the extra hour of daylight at the end of a long workday. Driving to work today watching the sun come up made me feel wonderfully small in the scheme of this great big planet that keeps on spinning. Getting my kiddos ready for school this morning my daughter observed "Mom... it's still dark out! Why are we awake?" Good question, beautiful girl. 

I've been protesting timing during this season of my life. See, I'm a planner. As spontaneous as I would like to claim to be, I do have a slight issue with meticulously planning out my calendar. I think it boils down to a illogical fear of a blank little square that represents a day. This past year I have actually had to work at the discipline of recreation. 

Praying for God to hurry up, praying for God to slow things down. I just can't seem to find the balance. I'm rarely satisfied with His timing. Stubborn as an ox, I sometimes blaze my way through big (and small) decisions. 

In making plans, timing is everything. Isn't it? 

Dinner? 
Sure! 
What time? 

Take a vacation? 
Sure! 
When will it be? 

Change career paths?
You betcha!
When do we start?

While suffering I'm quick to beg for relief. When times are good and the sailing is smooth I never have cried "uncle." 

Have you ever waited for something for what seemed like an eternity? Have you begged for an answer to prayer and felt like it was falling on capable yet unresponsive ears? I have. And more times than I'd like to admit I've taken my fate into my own shaky hands. 

How does the old adage go? "If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself." 
Well I've got a sassy answer for that... NOPE. 

Not when it comes to following Jesus. That's the beauty in the pain and struggle of waiting on the Lord's timing. As a friend laughingly said yesterday, "God doesn't ever seem to be in a hurry." Geesh oh Pete, I'm always in a hurry. I'm a fast reader, fast talker, fast runner, fast typist (I laid out this blog in no time flat), fast thinker, fast cleaner, fast cook, fast coffee drinker, fast texter, fast list-maker, (aaaaand done!). Frequently pleading my kids, "Hurry up," "Let's go," "PUT SOME DIESEL ON IT!"

Timing. It's a booger. 

You know what God says about endurance in the waiting... that it develops character. Character isn't developed over an hour. Maturity doesn't happen overnight. Wisdom isn't gained in a day

Romans 5:4 "And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation."

This is either really good or really disheartening news. Today I'm like a racehorse restless in the starting gate. I want that sucker to fly open so I can run full speed.

Rather... Sit. Pray. Just do what Christ has set before me TODAY.

God is never late, and he's seldom early. Trusting in his perfect timing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment