Monday, February 25, 2013

It's okay to be both.

I had coffee with my dad tonight. We meet about once a month for our little "daddy-daughter" date and I always look forward to it. I can always bet on the fact that during our talks my dad will give me precious advice or profound wisdom about following God. Tonight I was once again struck by something he said while we were discussing the subject of change. Our emotions can be both tricky and unpredictable when trying to navigate our way through (or around) a new transition. When we are processing a perceived trial or joy, no matter what form the change comes in, we sometimes get stuck in the idea that we either have to be happy or sad. We either have to be completely content or wildly resistant. We have the tendency to want to only choose things in our lives that will bring assured happiness along the path of least resistance. It's human nature. Any other action on our part is nothing short of the divine at work within us. What my dad said tonight was so humbly profound: "It's okay to be both." (this little nugget of philosophy drawn from a sermon by Ravi Zacharias entitled "Either/Or, Both/And.")

On my drive home I began to ponder all the ways that "it's okay to be both." There are countless times when I can remember feeling two (or more) emotions simultaneously, sure. Ever cried tears of joy? How about laughing when you're nervous? I've been known to laugh when I'm really angry... it's weird, but ask my husband it's true!

So then I began to think about how "it's okay to be both" in more ways than just in our emotions. The fact that I am insufficiently adequate to be God's ambassador- that's a way that it's okay to be both. The fact that I am a sinner and saved. The fact that Jesus was both human and God incarnate. Take for instance that when it comes to being a Christian it's okay to have more questions than answers because it's all about the journey. How about something like being hopelessly abandoned to God's purposes? That's another way I'm comfortable being both. The risk of being sold out to be used by Him far outweighs the risk of wasting my life on things that don't matter- such as living only for myself! I want to be radically ordinary for God's glory. It is my life's aim to make much of Him and much less of me.

Dad, thanks for always being so profoundly obvious in our little talks. I love you.




1 comment:

  1. That's really something to think about! Thanks for sharing those words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete